Strategies for Dealing with Separation Anxiety at Sunday School
It is very common for young children to get upset when their parents leave. Here are some strategies that can help you settle these little ones.
1. Recognise that separation anxiety is a phase of development. Children can experience this at different ages and to different intensities. Your job is to support them as they grow.
2. Provide a quiet corner where the children can choose to observe rather than participate in the activities. Some children need to watch for a while before they are willing to join in.
3. Establish a predictable routine so that the children know exactly what to expect. This will help them feel more comfortable.
4. Allocate a leader to interact especially with the children who are struggling. That will leave the other leader to teach the rest of the class.
5. Be aware that there will be days when the child will not settle. Have procedures in place to be able to contact the parents.